This article will outline the 13 best and most popular travel trailer brands available in the US and the standout model that we think is worth a closer look.
Airstream Travel Trailers
These aerodynamic aluminum travel trailers, nicknamed the silver bullet, have been icons of the RV world for nine decades and are one of the most popular travel trailer brands. The stylish airstream travel trailers are sure to turn heads and each trailer is designed to last a lifetime.
Airstream was founded in 1931 by Wally Byam, born on the Fourth of July, 1896. He grew up on a sheep farm working hard with his uncle on a sheep farm. He lived in a wooden wagon, this would be the inspiration for his first trailer. The wagon had everything he needed inside including, a stove, food, water.
Airstream has a brilliant reputation because their trailers are great quality. They have a large following and their fans collect the trailers and have clubs devoted to them.
Their flagship models include the classic, globetrotter and international. We’ll be focusing on the international trailer.
“With easy, peaceful style and purposeful design, the International Travel Trailer earns its name everywhere you look. Ready to excite as well as comfort, it’s all about a fine balance that makes for the perfect adventure. That’s what the International is here for – a silver sanctuary to help you get back to what really matters.”
The international trailer by Airstream is a fantastic mid to large trailer,it’s 23 to 30 feet, 2 axles, sleeps 4 to 6 and has 12 floor plans to choose from.
As the quality and demand of Airstream travel trailers are at an all time high, their prices are on the higher end of the spectrum. Even second hand Airstreams won’t be cheap. The International trailer will set you back at least $94,600.
If you are thinking of buying an airstream trailer, whether the international trailer or another model, I’d always recommend renting one first. Have a search on Outdoorsy or RVShare and I’m sure you’ll be able to find the model you are interested in. This way you can try before you buy, and make sure that it’s right for you.
Some of the Airstream International trailers standard features are:
- Beautiful, Functional Kitchen
- Nature, Brought Indoors
- Panoramic Windows
- A Tranquil Bathroom
- Expansive Rear Hatch
Winnebago Travel Trailers
Winnebago Industries, Inc. is another well known and popular travel trailer brand in the U.S. It was founded in 1958 by John K. Hanson, it’s named after Winnebago County, where it is located. The county is named after the Native American tribe who used to live in the area. Winnebago took this tradition of using the names from Native American history to name some of their product line, “Chieftain” and “Brave”. 
Winnebago’s best selling travel trailer is the Micro Minnie, this little trailer is compact but doesn’t lack anything. It’s perfect for family getaways. It is 20 feet long and can sleep up to 5, you can also pick from 12 different floor plans. Oh and it’s also won best travel trailer of the year 2021.
Prices for the Micro Minnie start at $22,172 so it’s a much cheaper option than the airstream alternative. There are lots of options and extra when you go through the ordering process so it’s easy to make your perfect trailer.
Again, I’d recommend that you try before you buy to make sure this is right for you.
Some of the Winnebago Micro Minnie trailers standard features are:
- Ample galley space, a sink, double door refrigerator, microwave and even a cooktop.
- spacious mattress and windows designed for cross ventilation and a great night’s sleep.
- Patio speakers and a power awning featuring LED lighting let you take the fun outside with the touch of a button.
- Each of the 11 versatile floorplans are packed with enough added exterior storage that packing is effortless.
- At 7-ft.-wide, Micro Minnie offers the greater visibility that makes towing and turning easy.
Jayco Travel Trailers
Jayco was founded in 1968 by Lloyd and Bertha Bontrager, they developed a trailer fold-down system in 1967 and started in the RV business from there. In their first year Jayco sold 132 trailers, and by the end of 1968 had 15 employees. 
Jayco manufactures a whole range of RVs and with over 50 years of industry experience, they have a loyal following. Another positive for Jayco is that their products are backed with an industry-leading two or three-year warranty.
Of all the travel trailer models Jayco offer, there are 9, our favorite is the Jay Feather. This model has 14 floor plans to choose from with various sleeping arrangements, and you can choose slide out options.
The Jayco Jay Feather is light for its size, ranging from 3,195 to 6,425 lbs. And like all Jayco products, it is built to the highest standards. So it will be able to handle everything you throw at it.
Some of the Jayco Jay Feather trailers standard features are:
- Aerodynamic, rounded front profile with diamond plate
- Stronghold VBL™ vacuum-bonded, laminated floor & walls
- Keyed-Alike™ lock system (includes all tent latches)
- Marine-grade exterior speakers with blue LED accent lighting (2)
- Outside grill propane quick-connect port
- Exterior TV prep with 120V electric and cable outlets
- LED lighting throughout
- Bathroom skylight and roof vent
- Mattress with bedspread
Forest River Travel Trailers
Forest River was founded in 1996 by Peter Liegl. He had a vision to build an RV company dedicated to helping people experience the joy of the outdoors. Now they have grown to become one of the largest RV manufacturers in North America, producing class A and C motorhomes, travel trailers, fifth wheels, toy haulers, camping trailers and destination trailers.
Forest Rivers flagship trailers include Alpha Wolf, Aurora and Cherrokee.
Our choice of travel trailer from the Forest River range has to be the Alpha Wolf, this was named best in show in 2018 by RV News. “The Cherokee Alpha Wolf offers the best mix floor plan diversity and top shelf amenities while at the same time creating a tougher, lighter, better insulated shell.
Alpha Wolf is the next evolution in Forest Rivers Cherokee line renowned for quality, floor plan functionality and affordable value proposition. “
Some of the Forest River Alpha Wolf trailers standard features are:
- LED Interior Lighting Package
- Super-Plush Evergreen Mattress
- Full Under Bed Storage with Strut Lift Assist
- Shower/Tub Skylight
- Dual Power Awnings (26RL)
- Motion Sensing Lights in Pass Thru
- LED Exterior Lighting Package
- Outside TV prep with Outlet and Mounting Bracket
- Water Source and Sink for All Outside Kitchens
Starcraft Travel Trailers
Starcraft, have been in the camping industry for 50 years. Founded in 1903 they first started manufacturing metal farm equipment. It wasn’t until 1964 they started manufacturing RVs, by introducing three models of tent campers (Starmaster, Starliner and Star Rambler).
Lloyd Bontrager (who later founded Jayco) invented the first lifter mechanism in 1963 and ran operations at Starcraft until 1967. Jayco later purchased the RV Division of Starcraft Corp. in 1991.
Starcraft’s Autumn ridge trailer is a great family travel trailer. It starts at 4,185 pounds and 23 to 37 feet, it has a wide range of floor plans that can sleep up to 10. It also has a wide range of customizable options, so you can find your perfect fit.
Some of the Starcraft Autumn Ridge trailers standard features are:
- Galvanized Steel Wheel Wells
- Lighted Oversized Pass-Through Storage
- Rain Guttering with Molded Drip Spouts
- Rear Observation Camera Prep
- Safety Bumper with Drain Hose carrier & End Caps
- Self-Adjusting Electric Brakes
- Cable & Satellite Prep
- Closeable A/C Vents
- Gas DSI Water Heater
- LED Lighting
- Seamless Countertops
- Stainless Single Basin Under-Mount Kitchen Sink
Heartland RV Travel Trailers
Heartland RV was founded in December 2003 by a group of RV industry veterans led by Brian Brady. They are a company that builds RV’s by RV lovers for people who love RV’s.
The Heartland RV model we are focused on is their Sundance trailer, it’s a lightweight towable that is perfect for those that are looking to downsize or a beginner in RVing. They offer easy to manage single-sided coaches to double-sided bunkhouses.
Some of the Heartland RV Sundance trailers standard features are:
- Privacy roller shades on all windows with clean design
- 6´9˝ tall vaulted ceilings allowing for the feeling of more space
- Dream dinette and fireplace (most floor plans) providing you all the comforts of your home
- Woven flooring in all slide outs — Family (and dog) friendly
- 10 ft3 12V refrigerator perfect for holding everything you need for the family barbeque.
- Azdel laminated sidewalls are half the weight of wood yet more durable and easy on the environment. Weather and temperature resistant. Azdel acts as a sound barrier while providing good insulation value.
- Colossal Storage — Exterior pass-thru storage compartment with motion LED lighting provides you ample space to take everything you need.
- Griddle in all outside kitchens — more versatile than a two-burner stove
- Automotive painted and stylish front cap
- Secure Step entry steps with an extra-large handle allowing for easy entry and exit.
nuCamp Travel Trailers
NuCamp was founded in 2004 by Joe Mullet, although it was called Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers then.
“After closing their doors during the 2008 recession, opportunity knocked and Joe acquired the rights to build the iconic TAB Teardrop Camper, created the TAG Teardrop Trailer, and ventured into a new world with the Cirrus Truck Camper. As Pleasant Valley found itself outgrowing the need for a distributor and increasingly stepping into the limelight, the company knew it was time to rebrand. The name nuCamp was selected as the company sought to honor the community’s German heritage, celebrate its new beginnings and tip its hat to the industry.”
We are profiling their iconic TAB teardrop trailer, surprisingly this tiny trailer has a wet bath, double bed and a kitchen! It has enough room to sleep 2.
Some of the nuCamp TAB Teardrop trailers standard features are:
- Deluxe wood cabinet
- Galley with pass through cabinets
- Alloy wheels
- Wet bath with cassette toilet
- Large LP/Battery storage
- Solar Option
Prime Time Manufacturing Travel Trailers
Headquartered in Wakarusa, Indiana, Prime Time Manufacturing was founded in 2009. It manufactures a full line of towable RV products to meet the needs of experienced, casual and first time RV customers.
The Prime Time Avenger trailer features design elements that are considered to be “Best In Class” to fully maximize enjoyment.
This trailer has a whopping 31 floor plans so you are guaranteed to find the best layout for you and your family. Ranging from 20 to 30 foot and with a huge range of additional add ons, you’re sure to find that your needs are met.
Some of the Prime Time Avenger trailers standard features are:
- 2” Wall Construction on 16” Centers Cross-Banded Construction
- Dynaspan 5/8” Seamless Floor Decking up to 24’ with 25 Year Warranty
- 5” LVL Headers Above Slideouts
- Exterior Hot/Cold Shower
- Blue LED Outside Speakers
- LED Lit Power Awning
- Solar Prep
- Back Up Camera Prep
- LED Interior Lighting
- Large 17” Oven
- High Rise Kitchen Faucet
Happier Camper Travel Trailers
Happier Camper is another great travel trailer brand, they produce stylish retro trailers that are small and lightweight. Their unique touch is that they have a modular interior that is highly versatile. You can design your own interior layout.
Happier Camper is a relative newcomer to the industry but with these great little trailers i’m sure they’ll be around for a long time to come.
We’ll be diving into the traveller trailer by the Happier Camper company, this trailer is extremely lightweight and can be towed by standard cars and SUVs. They can also fit a bathroom and kitchenette in if you choose.
Some of the Happier Camper Traveller trailers standard features are:
- Lightweight (Under 2,500 lbs loaded)
- Towable by standard cars & SUVs
- Fully-equipped for cross country travel
- Full kitchenette & bathroom options
- High-quality fiberglass construction
- Semi-modular interior
- All-season insulation, hot water, and heater
- Robust power system, solar-ready
- Built to last & handcrafted
Castia Travel Trailers
Castia translates to little house in Spanish, which is apt for RVs. It was founded in 1981, and has since filled a market need for recreational vehicles that are light, fuel efficient, and spacious. Today, Casita Travel Trailers remains a family owned business based out of Texas.
We’ll be looking at the Castia Spirit trailer, starting at $25,694 and sleeping between 4 and 6 people, this little camper is full of amenities. With two separate sleeping areas that convert into dinette tables providing comfortable seating for six, the Spirit model is the perfect choice for families on the go.
This camper is 17 foot long with a single axis and 2,210 pounds, you can upgrade to the deluxe option that includes a bathroom.
Some of the Castia Spirit trailers standard features are:
- Every Casita Spirit travel trailer features a durable, lightweight construction that makes it extremely fuel efficient.
- Simple it is to maneuver and set up.
- The insulated interior of the Casita Spirit features spacious seating features that easily convert into comfortable sleeping accommodations, plenty of quality storage space, and large screened windows for an open, airy feeling.
Grand Design Travel Trailers
Grand Design RV was founded in 2012, as part of the Winnebago company.
It’s worth a mention on this list as they have a fantastic line of travel trailers. The Imagine travel trailer is part of this line.
“Imagine leaving the world behind for the weekend…maybe a family stay-cation. Imagine, you just want to get away, now. Packing up and starting out is as easy as “tow and go.” Imagine your delight with every unique detail. An experience for today, tomorrow, and from sunrise to sunset, in every climate you visit. Imagine reaching today’s destination, and the comfort of relaxing for the night, surrounded by the many special Grand Design-only quality touches. You’re towing light, without compromise, and reaching your every imagined on-the-road milestone.”
The imagine trailer is a great lightweight trailer option with 12 different floor plans to choose from. It’s a medium to large size trailer coming in at 28 to 37 feet long and starting at 7,500 pounds.
Some of the Grand Design Imagine trailers standard features are:
- Roof ladder
- Solar Power Inlet
- Exterior Speakers
- Reversible Dinette Cushions
- Walk in Shower with skylight
KZ RV Travel Trailers
KZ RV was founded in 1972, and is a subsidiary of THOR Industries, Inc. The first RV KZ offered was a truck camper, and was designed, fabricated and assembled by two employees. The company grew from there, to 12 employees. Then they added travel trailers and another 20 employees. Then they added fifth wheels to their line. Today, the KZ campus covers 530,000 square feet of manufacturing space, includes over 600 employees and 12 product lines, and offers over 150 floorplans.
KZ’s Sportsman classic trailer is a good priced option loaded with standard features and is lightweight enough to be towed by an SUV. With 13 different floor plans you are sure to find the right trailer.
Some of the KZ RV Sportsman classic trailers standard features are:
- Bench-seat dinette big enough for family meals, then folds down neatly for comfortable sleep space.
- The Off Road Package includes 15-inch mud tires with aluminum rims, extra ground clearance, an electronically-controlled heated holding tank, and double entry step.
- The Off Road Package includes 15-inch mud tires with aluminum rims, extra ground clearance, an electronically-controlled heated holding tank, and double entry step.
- Alum-a-Tough roofing w/12-year limited warranty.
- Solar prep.
- Tongue & groove plywood flooring.
If you are considering buying an RV, I’d always recommend renting the RV model you are interested in first. It’s a big financial commitment buying an RV so you want to have tested it thoroughly before you commit.
Have a look at renting a travel trailer through Outdoorsy or RVshare, and take your time finding the brand that’s right for you.
There are also RV dealerships and trade shows all across the country, so it may be worth spending a weekend looking and familiarizing yourself with the different brands and models.
The above list is just a starting point, whilst they are the most popular travel trailer brands in the US there are so many options out there. Have a look at the other models these brands have to offer, I’m sure you’ll find something that you will love.
If you’re still not sure if a travel trailer is for you, take a look at our ultimate guide of RV types to see if another type would suit you more.